Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Home Sweet Home


We are home. Everett was discharged last night after one last set of lab work. The doctor wanted to make sure his levels came back to normal before allowing him to go home. So thankful that we did not have to spend another night because he was feeling much better and we were both having cabin fever. He also was feeling well enough to know that he was not home and would fight taking naps and going to sleep which meant that Mommy needed to hold and rock him until he just finally passed out.

I asked the doctor a bunch of questions yesterday as to why his body reacted so quickly and so violently to a virus. It was likely a combination of things: dehydration from being sick, unstable blood levels and then having a series of seizures. In the end the ultimate culprit was a strain of flu that typically causes croup. I was not terribly surprised since Jackson had a short case of croup about 2 weeks ago. How different the same virus can be in both my children. Jackson had a cough for a few days and the typical runny nose. Everett had fever, cough, drainage, ear infection and then just when started to feel better his body went into septic shock. Not Fun! Of course I was hoping the doctor could give me a definitive plan on how to avoid this from ever happening again, but instead she said we did the right thing by getting him quickly to the ER.

In the coming weeks we will visit with our PCP, Neurologist and Pulmonologist. There may need to be some tweaking of medication but at this point that is undetermined. The good news in the end is that his daily routine of preventative asthma treatment is working. He had no signs of respiratory distress and had clear lungs throughout the duration of his illness.

Thank you again for the quick prayers! The Lord sheltered us once again from what could have been much more traumatic and possibly .... well, I'd rather not even think about the other possibilities. This morning my little guy is back to rolling around, playing with his feet and thrilled to not be hooked to any wires. PRAISE GOD!

These bumps in life are never easy. Being in a hospital with a sick child is not something that ever becomes comfortable. It is in these times that Greg and I turn to the Lord for our strength. HE amply provides us with the strength to get through these bumps and onto living with joyful hearts. Yesterday was a bleak exhausting day, but today we are back to our jobs and I'm so happy to be able to just be Mommy today.

The LORD is my strength and my song; he has become my salvation. He is my God, and I will praise him, my father's God, and I will exalt him. (Exodus 15:2)

Thank you to all the family and friends who jump in when live throws us a curve ball. Jackson had a BLAST all weekend with this cousins, aunts, uncle and grandparents. Yesterday the highlight of his day was that he learned Uncle Bill's car has a TV. He thought that was the coolest thing ever!

Thank you also for the text messages, e-mails, offers of meals and phone calls. I still have not gotten back to everyone, but know that I got it and it helped me get through the day.


5 comments:

  1. So good to see his sweet smile again! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad he is better and able to be at home! Love the picture of Jackson giving him a kiss!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So glad you are all back home and that Everett is feeling better! Prayer works! Hope to see you at therapy in a few weeks. Enjoy the long weekend - you all deserve it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am glad everyone is home, you are an amazing mom!

    ReplyDelete