Sunday, May 23, 2010

Back in the Hospital

Everett was admitted to Banner Desert Children's Hospital yesterday with a diagnosis of septic shock. He awoke yesterday very lethargic and what appeared to be low blood sugar (well that was my guess since he'd been sick and not eating very well). We were on our way to take him to the pediatrician office when I thought he looked as if he was having seizures. I had Greg pull off the highway and head to the closest children's hospital. Within minutes we were met by the trauma team who immediately began working on him. Those moments are always tense and uncertain. It's never good when there are more doctors and nurses in your room than you can count.

They were able to get Everett stable and we knew he was feeling better when he began to clap his feet (always a good sign for our little guy). The afternoon was rough as he just could not get comfortable and cried a lot. Greg and I took turns holding him throughout the day and truly I have to admit that I loved every moment of it. It's times like this when I truly wish he could just open his eyes and see that Mommy and Daddy are right there with him, but the immediate comfort in his body when we hold him lets us know that he is well aware of our presence.

Everett had a great night and according to his nurse rolled all over the place. He was quite a tangled mess this morning with his 6+ wires and 2 IV's. He's a trooper for sure. Fortunately one of his thumbs is available for sucking and that just brings him such comfort. We will likely be headed out of the ICU today and down to a regular peds room. So far all blood results are coming back good and his levels have stabilized. There was some concern yesterday of possible meningitis, but those results came back normal.

We are so thankful for all the prayers being lifted in Everett's name. We are still unsure of what cased him to wake up in the state he did yesterday, but we are grateful for the incredible turn around over the past 24 hours.

We will keep you posted and share some photos soon!

Love, The Stoner's

6 comments:

  1. I am so relieved about the negative meningitis result! Poor buddy - if there is anything we can do to help, just let me know.
    We'll be praying for his little body.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ditto on any needs you might have. Bailey and I prayed for him last night and again this morning.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Septic shock is very scary so I am so thankful that his body has made a quick turnaround! Praying for full recovery and quick discharge.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Laura,

    Sorry to hear about your little man Everett. He is in our prayers. Let us know if you guys need anything!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh no! Not another hospital stay! Glad to hear he is already feeling better and hope he will be able to return home soon!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Laura, we knew something must have been going on when we didn't see you at FBC this morning! Please know that we have Everett and the entire Stoner family in our prayers! If there is anything I can do to help (talk, visit, food, ANYTHING), please do not hesitate to contact me, Veronica (602-427-7377).

    ReplyDelete