Sunday, December 19, 2010

Fall 2010 Re-cap


Wow! Can't believe I haven't posted since August. Well needless to say it's been a BUSY Fall and we are all finally on vacation. This upcoming week marks no school for Mommy & Jackson, no therapy for Everett and a quieter week at work for Daddy. So alas, I will take a deep breath and try to give a long overdue update of my wonderful family.

Sometime back in August we finally flipped Everett's car seat to forward facing. I just love being able to look over my shoulder to see his sweet face and all of the amazing things he can do with those legs.

And since Everett has mastered the skill of sitting - we've been out and about exploring new things. A new favorite family activity is bike riding. Everett does really well in tow and sometimes Jackson will sit besides him, but most of the time Jackson likes to ride his bike too.

I just love the next two poses we captured of Everett.



Then came Halloween. We'll it actually came and went, but we did manage to go "pumpkin picking" which in AZ is basically some pre-purchased pumpkins that are spread around amongst the corn field. Jackson is hold two pumpkins not because he couldn't decide, but rather because he is always making sure he gets one of everything for his brother.


Everett was a "pumpkin" for halloween this year. Thanks Mom for finding the cute costume.
Therapy for Everett continues to progress and we are constantly adding new things for him to work on. Check out my baby kneeling. We're not yet crawling or standing, but all the potential is there for him to just take off one of these days.
Then came time for Thanksgiving! This year was extra special because I had a new assistant in helping me get ready for the big day. Jackson was so excited not only because he'd been learning about Thanksgiving in school, but because he was able to help make the cookies, stuffing, set the tables and he even woke up with me at 5am to put the turkey in the oven.




And to help me keep focused on the blessings in life - GOD granted a little prayer request on Thanksgiving morning. For months now we've been trying to get Everett to drink from a cup. It actually became a speech/feeding goal that I was loathing. Every time I would place a cup in his hands he'd toss it to the ground. I was really starting to think to myself, "What's the big deal if he's still drinking out of a bottle at age 30?". So in the midst of cooking the turkey, watching the NYC parade and preparing for our 20+ guests - I had this little voice urge me to give Everett a cup. This time he did not toss it, rather he did this:

In November, we also had another pre-arranged hospital stay. After some strange sleep patterns developed, Everett's neurologist order an EEG that showed "some unusual activity". Based on the findings we were asked to do a 24-48 hour video monitoring. As I suspected, it was more like 72 hours, but we did have our own room so that was awesome. The results showed that he is again having seizure activity (non-convulsive seizures) both during awake and sleep times. We are currently trying out some new medication and monitoring his development.

I have continued to keep busy with school. This semester I completed two more courses and am beginning to see the light at the end of the tunnel. I also was able to complete 90 of the 360 hours of internship I need to complete for my certification at a Teacher of the visually impaired. This was probably the toughest semester yet as I had to balance working very part-time, going to school, being mom and learning braille. It was tough, but good and I'm really excited to have passed my braille proficiency test. Next semester I will be taking nemeth, which is the braille math code. I've already been informed it's tough, so the spring may be just as hectic as the fall.



2 comments:

  1. Awww Laura, So much progress for Everett! I miss seeing you guys! Jackson is an awesome big brother! You amaze and inspire me with you aspiration to be a TVA! Have a blessed Christmas and I know you'll have a wonderful 2011!
    Veronica - Renzo's Nana

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was so good hearing what the Stoner family has been up to! The two parts that touched my heart the most was Jackson and how he gets 2 of everything, always thinking of his brother, and Everett drinking from a cup...so neat! Hope you guys have a wonderful Christmas!

    ReplyDelete