Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Much to Update...Everett

What a difference a few weeks can make! In early June we reported that Everett began to roll over, smile and began to again move. This was HUGE and we were so excited to have our little boy back that we never could have expected the changes that have come since.
Bulleted List

Everett now rolls EVERYWHERE! He can roll from back to belly and belly to back with ease. I know this sounds like a very simple goal for a 13 month old, but for a child with down syndrome who is also blind and had a 6 month period of seizing all day this is INCREDIBLE! So now when Everett is placed on the floor he is usually found very far from his initial location. Every once in a while he'll roll into a wall or piece of furniture and then you'll hear him yell.

Yelling...that's his new thing. He can be quite vocal when he wants attention, does not feel like sleeping or when you're trying to feed him. It's so great to hear his voice and see this personality come out of him. However; the midnight talking does tend to drive me crazy.

Belly time is one of his favorite's...He really likes to be on his belly and does some neat yoga poses. His legs are going constantly and he can finally use his arms to push up and hold his head off the ground for 10-15 seconds at a time. To me this is amazing since I can't entice him with cool toys are bright colors. I think he's just determined to do it.

Playtime. Yes, that is right Everett now is able to engage in playtime. He has one of those playmats with hanging toys that jiggle and make noise. Although unable to see them, he will swat his hands and feed around to find them then either kick or grab them. He'll hold on to objects tightly and shake them to make noise. I do see some music in his future.

Then there's eating. Admittedly this is my least favorite activity each day. Everett is working on eating solids. The way this usually plays out is I try to feed him and he spits it back out at me while doing rasberries. Probably sounds really adorable, but it can also be quite frustrating. Yet I know it is one of those things that's just going to take A LOT of time, practice and patience.

As soon as I figure out how to add video to these blogs I will post some of these activities for you to enjoy. How great that I can blog about 5 different accomplishments that have all occured over a 6 week period. This provides much hope for the future.

So we will continue with weekly occupational therapy, physical therapy, speech therapy, home visits from the foundation for blind children and in September will begin center based therapy again at the Foundation for blind Children.

Certainly we still have a long way to go, but it's also so important to stop in the moment and celebrate each accomplishment. Well the yelling is starting up again so I'd better see what he needs.

4 comments:

  1. So glad to hear things are going so well. I love the new picture of the boys at the top of your blog...so cute! We still have to get together! We have been sooooo busy since the kids have been off of school and they already start back up tomorrow! Are you using the "add photo" button when you put pictures in your post? If so, there is an "add video" button right next to that one...that is how you add video!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was so great to see you all on Saturday! I am so happy for all of you! We cherish our recent inchstones, so I can totally relate to your excitement! Not sure if you were at the parent meeting when P.O.P.S.I.C.L.E. support group came out, but in February they are having a workshop on Feeding Issues for Children Who are Visually Impaired. I know it's a way off, but I plan on attending to get ideas for Renzo. With his being deafblind, eating is a huge challenge! Can't wait for September to come around again! Everett - keep up the hard work!

    ReplyDelete
  3. sitting here with Miss Abigail ( she woke just as I sat down to get caught up on your family, of course!) so wonerdful to hear things are continuing nto progress. will have to write more later. .. fussy baby nwants to eat again :)miss you to pieces!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Everett and Stoner Family - I have tears in my eyes to read about all his accomplishments not only for himself but your family !! How wonderful !! I love the photos and the boys remain on our fridge! Keep up the great work.
    Love Aimee & Family xo

    ReplyDelete